Monday, June 23, 2008

Be A Little Crazy A Spiritual Exercise



If the world is sane, then Jesus is mad as a hatter and the Last Supper is the Mad Tea Party. The world says, “Mind your own business”, and Jesus says, “There is no such thing as your own business”. The world says, “Follow the wisest course and be a success”, and Jesus says, “Follow me and be crucified”. The world says, “Drive carefully – the life you save may be your own”, and Jesus says, “Whoever would save their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it”. The world says, “Law and order”, and Jesus says, “Love”. The world says, “Get”, and Jesus says, “Give”. In terms of the world’s sanity, Jesus is crazy as a coot and anybody who thinks they can follow Him without being a little crazy too is laboring less under a cross than under a delusion.

Frederick Buechner "Listening to Your Life"


Pause and reflect upon what Jesus has to tell you. Which of the above sayings do you most need to hear?

Reread the Biblical accounts of Jesus’ Last Supper and Crucifixion. Then identify with those involved in the events using the phrase, “I am”. Here are some examples:

· I am frightened of change, just like the Temple priests.
· I am confused when things do not go as I expect them to, just like the Apostles.
· I am worried when my power is challenged, just like the Roman authorities.
· I am a betrayer, just like Judas.
· I am full of sorrow over the losses in my life, just like the two Marys.

Consider these aspects of Jesus’ experience:

· I know what it is like to have to say goodbye as death nears, just like Jesus does at the
Last Supper.
· I know what it is like to be different, to be misunderstood, and to feel rejected.
· I have been tempted to just give up and give in but instead I have shouldered my
responsiblities.
· I have known the different kinds of suffering Jesus goes through on the cross:
physical pain, mental anguish, and even for a moment, mental anguish.
· I aspire to have the courage and the trust in God that Jesus demonstrates during his
final days on earth.

So how does one open their heart anyway? Usually it gets broken open through some experience of their own or an empathetic identification with another’s experiences. Jesus hanging upon the cross has the ability to break your heart; he can break it wide open and shatter it. I believe no one can gaze upon that crucified, broken and bloodied body, that utterly exhausted and completely innocent little man hanging on a tree of shame without having an experience of total compassion and sorrow. Try it and see for yourself!

No comments: